ITALIAN AMERICAN WAR VETERANS
of the UNITED STATES
Federally Chartered - November 20, 1981
The purposes and objectives of this organization are:
- To aid and assist veterans and their families.
- To assist public and private agencies and institutions endeavoring to promote the public welfare.
- To foster, encourage, and promote social, civic, historical, athletic, patriotic, musical, and scientific activities and affairs.
- To uphold and maintain the honor and integrity of the United States, and to preserve and defend it from her enemies.
- To uphold and maintain true allegiance to the government of the United States and fidelity to the Constitution.
- To promote patriotism, advance the civic welfare, encourage benevolence, stimulate charity, champion the cause of education, and inspire friendship.
- To stimulate a feeling of mutual devotion, helpfulness, and comradeship among all veterans, spouses, and survivors.
- To encourage and develop in all people a spirit of good will, fellowship, and understanding as a guard against future wars and chaos.
Any American citizen who was honorably discharged or separated from the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard) who served during the following periods of war or conflict:
- Spanish-American War: April 21, 1898 - July 4, 1902
- World War I: April 19, 1917 - November 11, 1918
- World War II: December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
- American Merchant Marine Ocean - Going Servicemen during the period of armed conflict in World War II: December 7, 1941 - August 15, 1945
- Korean Conflict: June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Conflict: December 22, 1961 - May 7, 1975
- Lebanon and Grenada Involvements: August 24, 1982 - July 31, 1984
- Panama Liberation: December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990
- Persian Gulf Conflict: August 2, 1990 - date of cessation
Effective- August 2, 1990 (date of passage), any person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marined Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard), as well as the National Guard and *Reserve units, is eligible for membership in the organization, provided such service, when terminated by discharge or release from active duty, be by honorable discharge or separation.
*National Guard service or Reserve service is not credited for membership unless the person is placed on regular active duty, exclusive of periodic and/or training periods.
The above provisions shall also apply to posthumous and active duty membership.